As animal guardians and stewards of the earth, we can impact the health and longevity of our pets and our environment by making better choices in the products we use and don’t use. Responsible pet acquisition and environmentally conscious health care practices are also important in protecting our shared habitat. Did you know that exposure to chemicals in the environment and even small daily doses of chemical additives and preservatives in their food can build up and be carcinogenic? The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and the California Department of Fish and Game confirm the hazards of environmental and household toxins including lawn fertilizers, detergents, and cleaners. These all have warning labels relative to children and pets, and many veterinarians see a link between environmental toxins and pet cancer. Maverick Pet Partners can assist pet parents in decreasing your pet’s environmental pawprint and protecting your pet’s health by providing eco-friendly alternatives to toxin laden foods, toys, parasite control, grooming and cleaning products.
Below are some suggestions to protect your pet and the environment:
- Buy pet toys, beds and other products made of environmentally-friendly, sustainable materials.
- Use friendly de-icing products on walkways and porches in winter.
- Use eco-friendly cat litter, such as products made from wheat, corn or recycled newspaper.
- Never flush cat litter down the toilet.
- Buy biodegradable, compostable bags.
- Use natural pet care and cleaning products. Read product labels carefully.
- Adopt an animal from a shelter. Never, never, ever buy a dog or cat from a pet store.
- Spay or neuter your pet.
- Purchase pet food that doesn’t have chemical preservatives or make your own pet food.
- Filter your pet’s water.
- Use natural parasite control methods.